About Me

My photo
My new married life in a nutshell...Married and Single at the Same Time. How I opened my marriage and started living a single life in NYC one week a month. You can find my book here https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1701860201

Friday 24 May 2019

Comfortably Numb VIII

I was glad I went to NY for a few days to rest and mourn the passing of my father. I didn't want to go home to do this. My father never really knew my family, he met my son a couple of times and my daughter and Dan once so I didn't want to burden them with what I was going through...they don't even know him. In the end we had more of an understanding and respect for one another and I cherished our new relationship but I also felt protective of it, like it could be stolen or broken at any time. My father and I went on his final journey together and it felt like an honour to be beside him because no matter what we all take that final walk and I felt like a warrior to be able to be his friend and daughter until his last breath. I was the strong one...I have never been the strong one.

I guess I never went straight home because I knew I wouldn't have the time to reflect and cement him into my memory, I could let the rest go because I have something new...I feel like we went to war together and although we lost I really feel that in the end we won. I keep him tucked away in my heart where I can protect his memory and remember him the way I want without outside perspective...it's not needed. I love my dad.

I handed the lady my passport and boarding pass...I can't wait to get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment