About Me

My photo
My new married life in a nutshell...Married and Single at the Same Time. How I opened my marriage and started living a single life in NYC one week a month. You can find my book here https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1701860201

Monday 1 January 2018

The Longest Summer XXXV

I stood outside of his room for fifteen minutes going through what I was going to say or explain...I had no idea. The nurse startled me when she came out of his room and now I can't turn and run, not that I was thinking about it. My things are packed and back in the car to head home but I always see him on the last day.

I walked in to see him staring out the window, a blank look on his face. My dad used to smile a lot, he used to be happy...or at least look it. I hated leaving him while he is in here and I wonder if my short visits help or hurt him. He pulled me out of my thoughts when he finally saw me standing at the bottom of his bed, I guess we were both lost in thought. He smiles but it quickly turns to tears when he asked if I was ready to head home. I walked along the side of his bed until I found the chair and sat down right beside him. I talked about my children a lot to him, he doesn't really know them but he always likes to hear about them. I fill our time together by reminiscing and small talk. I love seeing his face and listening to him tell the same stories I have heard a thousand times while growing up. I have heard these words so many times I could recite them without flaw...and then my own tears start to fall...one day I won't have him to tell me these stories...

No comments:

Post a Comment