About Me

My photo
My new married life in a nutshell...Married and Single at the Same Time. How I opened my marriage and started living a single life in NYC one week a month. You can find my book here https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1701860201

Monday 19 January 2015

The Character I play in This World I

I feel like I’m starting in the middle of the book.  It feels far too intimidating starting at the beginning. I mean I’m 36 years old and wouldn’t even know how to start or the first story to tell or even know the relevance to the information I was providing.  Ok…so I am a 36 year old woman who is living the dream…well…my dream for the most part.  I guess I can always do little fancy flash backs if I need to tie anything in but I’d be shocked if anyone actually cared where i grew up or what my family experience was like.  If I need the back story to create the relevance than I’ll introduce people accordingly…but until then…my third cousin twice removed does not need to be discussed.  
Ok, so like I said…I am 36 years old and living my dream…for the most part. I have two children, one is 17 years old and the other is 2.5 years old.  Yes that is a large gap in age and yes I started over and yes I am on my second marriage.  I went to university with the dream that I was going to be a lawyer…and not just any lawyer…one that was going to change the world and become a power house in international law.  However, I left a few years back with my arts degree for philosophy.  I remember my husband saying “wow, now you can argue with people in the park”, I proudly looked back and him and responded “that’s true, but now I am confident I can win those arguments”.  I took philosophy knowing my end game was law, but several thousands of dollars in student loans later and i decided to take my degree, join the work force and possibly go back one day for law.  That by the way has not happened yet…but I have all the confidence that one day I will at least write the LSAT…hopefully only once.  
I have been married to my beautiful husband for almost nine years and to tell you he gives me everything a woman could want seems like a serious understatement.  We have travelled the world, we have built a financially secure life, we have built our perfect house and have a relationship that feels bullet proof.  Dan may be the most perfect partner in the universe…but he will be the first to tell you…he is only perfect for me…see what I mean?  Dan and i met one night when we were out with friends and our story is anything but regular.  Yep, we had a one night stand and then we slowly started dating.  He was graduated from engineering when we met and got a job out of the province a month later.  There was no questioning…I was going with him.  We met in October, moved together in March, engaged in San Francisco in August and married in Vegas in February…we honeymooned in Europe for six weeks a year after we were married.  You see, Dan and I always knew…we knew that we were different from other people when it came to our relationship.  Ever meet someone and have immediate trust?  That has happened to me once…and I married him.  My life with him for the first seven years was completely unreal to me.  We travelled all the time, got a long perfectly and built a beautiful life together.  Year eight has been like a curve ball out of no where.  Earlier in the year I asked Dan to open up our marriage.  I simply went to him and stated that I was ready to be in an open marriage.  I wanted to dive in an explore the side of me I left years ago…the single side.   Dan and i always knew we would one day have an open marriage, however I jumped in head first while he was still trying to read all the fine print.  Why the open marriage in a perfect marriage?  I guess because somewhere along the way i forgot that being a mother and wife is only part of who i am, because somewhere along the way law school fell away and so did Natalie.  So here I was 35 years old and a mother of two, graduate with an arts degree and on my second marriage…somehow I felt like I was on the outside looking at someone else’s life.  Where was the woman that was going to conquer the world and change it…she had drive, motivation and was fearless.  This woman was now wondering how all the days seemed the same and what she was looking forward to was not what she had planned maybe not what she had wanted.  Okay…so i kick open the doors to my marriage and take on this crazy world with a new and exciting energy.  This was going to be easy, I would date again and go out and have fun and Dan was going to do the same…or so i thought.  Let me be the first to tell you, it is far easier for a woman to be in an open relationship than a man.  I mean imagine when a woman tells a man that she only wants to have fun, maybe travel and of course a sexual side as well and that she has no interest in ever leaving her husband.  Men would look at me like they hit the jackpot…all the fun and none of the drama and no real strings attached.  Dan on the other hand was met with women who wanted to get married, have children and long lasting relationships.  
I was like a kid in a candy store.  I was introduced to online dating and the rest is history!  Ok, maybe not history since I’m definitely still in the thick of it but I have to make my two year old breakfast, get ready for renovations and start my day as a wife and mother.  

No comments:

Post a Comment