About Me

My photo
My new married life in a nutshell...Married and Single at the Same Time. How I opened my marriage and started living a single life in NYC one week a month. You can find my book here https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1701860201

Saturday 3 September 2016

Writer on the Run XXVII

By the time I crossed the ten kilometer mark I was already feeling sore and only wished that my knee wouldn't get the sharp pinch in it that would make me walk. I could see the people piling up at the meds tent with ever mile and I knew that was not an option for me...if I took off my shoes they would never go back on...those blisters will have to wait until tonight. By mile nine I was sweating and needed to shed my long sleeve shirt but worried what would happen to my bib that held the chip and tracked my progress. I finally found an official and he helped me undress without compromising my run then I tied my shirt around my waist and carried on. I read that if the chip is compromised or if you stray that you would be automatically disqualified and if by chance you still tried to cross the finish line you would then be banned from future marathons...they are not playing around.


I felt nothing but relief when I seen a woman holding a sign that said "Welcome to Queens"...Brooklyn seemed to go on for what felt like forever. The relief was short lived though, the Queensboro Bridge may have as well have been a mountain with the incline...thank goodness the bridges are the only major obstacle. I decided to walk up the one side so I could run down the other and onto 1st Street in Manhattan...halfway over the bridge I can see the 13.1 mile sign and I am halfway done. I wonder how long I can run on just happiness and momentum from realizing that there is no way I will not cross that finish line...I break into stride...

No comments:

Post a Comment