About Me

My photo
My new married life in a nutshell...Married and Single at the Same Time. How I opened my marriage and started living a single life in NYC one week a month. You can find my book here https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1701860201

Thursday 1 September 2016

Writer on the Run XXVI

I had read ahead and knew that there would be kilometre markers every five kilometres and mile markers at every marker starting at three. I read that after the three mile mark there would be toilets and water or gatorade at every mile and when we reached the seventeen mile marker you could grab a banana or gel pack to help you from hitting the wall. I wasn't anywhere close to that but knowing it was available as I checked off miles was great.

I wasn't very far into the run when I realized how different training on the treadmill was from running on the pavement...which is unforgiving to my joints. I decided early on that I would drink water at every water station and only drink the gatorade if I felt exhausted or weak.

I could see the streets start to fill up with spectators and still felt amazing when I reached the five kilometre marker. The taxi driver I had this morning told me that there are fifty thousand participants, about twenty three thousand volunteers and over a hundred thousand spectators for the marathon...it didn't even shake me...this is what makes running the NYC so appealing. It occurred to me as I was running through Brooklyn that I have barely ever ventured out into the other boroughs at all...maybe there is more to NYC than just Manhattan...

No comments:

Post a Comment