About Me

My photo
My new married life in a nutshell...Married and Single at the Same Time. How I opened my marriage and started living a single life in NYC one week a month. You can find my book here https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1701860201

Tuesday 17 May 2016

Coaches and Classes VII

I was watching him out of the corner of my eye pick up and put down his phone every ten seconds and even I was starting to feel irritated.  Who was this woman and what the hell was going on?  I thought for a few minutes about my place in his life now and then decided to open pandoras box into my own life.  It was easy to be a friend once the intimacy was dead and I try to keep in mind that Mike's demons run deep and he is likely not a victim of whatever is going on.  As he started explaining the situation with his girlfriend I couldn't help but feel like I had in high school when I would argue with whoever it was that I was dating.  I can't believe he still plays this game and gets so caught up in it like it matters.  I just sat there and nodded until I couldn't take it anymore, "Mike if you're that miserable then just leave".  It was so simple it was like he didn't even think about it as an option.  Mike is guilty of falling in love with anyone that he believes can give him what he has longed for in terms of a family and has no respect for the time and effort of the journey...his desperation is shining through with every year he ages and he grabbing at anyone who wants or is willing to have a family.  What he doesn't understand is that his own life is a nightmare that he has become comfortable living in and therefore does nothing to change it.  "She wants me to meet her son".  I could see a look in his eyes that he was happy and honoured that she would want that but I have a huge issue with this and I realize it's none of my business nor is it my place to intervene but I did it anyway.  "I don't think that's a good idea Mike".  He looked over at me and I placed my phone on my lap and gave him my undivided attention because he is about to contest my statement and I'm about to shut him down.  He sees this as a way to get closer to her and have a built in family....which I would support and happily encourage if he did even one thing to help himself overcome his alcoholism...but he hasn't.  I've lost all patience with his minimization of his addiction and I won't tolerate it anymore, it's one thing if he wants to sit in his dark apartment and drink himself sick but it is another when he inflicts his abusive behaviours onto unsuspecting women and their children.  I think he believes that if he had the family then he wouldn't drink but that isn't how addiction works...not after several years of use.  He brushed me off and I didn't fight it...I was heard and now he needs to decide what to do with the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment