About Me

My photo
My new married life in a nutshell...Married and Single at the Same Time. How I opened my marriage and started living a single life in NYC one week a month. You can find my book here https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1701860201

Sunday 28 August 2016

Writer on the Run XXIV

I woke at 4m and quietly got dressed and grabbed all of my passes, identification, bankcard and phone after I finished eating my breakfast. I barely slept last night but didn’t think I would anyway. I sat in silence on the couch for about fifteen minutes staring at the clock and trying to calm my nerves, too afraid to move in case I lost my breakfast. I could see my son sleeping just across the room, I wouldn’t see him again until I crossed the finish line and the thought started to make me feel emotional on top of anxious. I walked over and kissed his face softly hoping he wouldn’t wake and carefully grabbed the spare set of keys making sure they didn’t jingle.

I stepped out onto East 72nd street and hailed a cab at the corner to take me to my bus that will take me to Staten Island. I don’t think I ever remember seeing the streets of New York so quiet and empty…it was almost eerie.

I got out on the street lined with buses and hundreds of people wearing the same jersey as myself. I felt proud to raise money for the youth of the city I love. I walked over to the crowd around the man standing on the steps and using a megaphone to direct everyone. My nerves started to settle as I talked to the people around me and learned that I wasn’t the least prepared person that showed up.


I was standing next to a young woman running for the first time as well and just so happened to be on my bus…it was relieving to have someone to at the very least walk to the gate with before running our own races…

No comments:

Post a Comment