About Me

My photo
My new married life in a nutshell...Married and Single at the Same Time. How I opened my marriage and started living a single life in NYC one week a month. You can find my book here https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1701860201

Monday 12 June 2017

Harlem By Day...or Night

I almost always took the shuttle into Times Square but this time we were staying in Harlem...I had never even ventured up there before. I didn't want to be sitting for an hour in a cab watching the meter run up while we stood still in traffic. I grabbed my wallet and took out my metro card, may as well take the M60 since it takes us almost right by the front door and was the best option even with luggage. The bus was near empty and was by far the fastest way into the city considering the bus lanes and few stops...this may very well be my favourite way to get into the city now. The last stop is right by Columbia so when I stayed on the Upper West Side or Midtown I could transfer to the subway and miss all the traffic and car sickness.

We got off on Lenox and 125th, Harlem wasn't scary at all. I mean I guess I knew the stories and history of the community but today it was vibrant and beautiful. Unfortunately that comes at a high cost to the people who have lived there their whole lives. I was a touch sad to see the big box stores almost over power the Apollo theatre sign and wished I would have gone up there sooner when it still had the charm and little of the gentrification. Kaila never even blinked, it takes a lot to shake her or shock her. We have this funny connection where our anxieties will take turns and it works for us and makes our friendship not only strong but comforting. She was no stranger to the hard life and grew up fighting for every last inch of what she has...she is a self made woman and I am in awe of her. We decided to tour our temporary neighbourhood while pulling our luggage and loved what we saw. There was a DJ in the laundromat, four older men singing on the corner like a retired Boyz to Men reunion and the Red Rooster restaurant, which is apparently one of the best places for soul food in the city. Harlem was charming and the people were incredibly nice...it occurred to me that those who cautioned me about staying here have likely never been here...what a shame...

No comments:

Post a Comment