About Me

My photo
My new married life in a nutshell...Married and Single at the Same Time. How I opened my marriage and started living a single life in NYC one week a month. You can find my book here https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1701860201

Monday 11 May 2015

New York State of Mind XI

I got back to the room in time to find Karen packing the last of her clothes and toiletries.  I left some money on the dresser to pay for my three beer and grabbed my things.  I wanted to be back in Manhattan for dinner and we still had to drop the car off in Jersey and grab a bus.  We looked the room over to make sure we didn't forget anything...I didn't bother to tell Karen that if we had left anything behind Mike could bring it when I see him Chicago in a couple of weeks.   I have no idea how she would react to that and I am not capable of dealing with those dramatics right now and just want to get on the turn pike.

It took us forty five minutes to finally get out of town...one strip in the city and we just couldn't find a way out for some reason.  At one point I told Karen if I had seen the hotel one more time I was going back in to get a room.  Even when we finally managed to get on the turn pike it was so confusing it took us almost four hours to drive what took us an hour and a half the day before.  Apparently once you make a right hand turn you're screwed and back in Atlantic City trying all over again to get the hell out.  When we finally found the car rental company they were in the midst of closing and to add insult to injury the kid behind the desk refused to take the car because it was after 4pm.  So there I was yelling through the door that it's 4:02pm and they can just take the keys.  The manager came to the door to tell me he couldn't accept the car because it was late and to come back tomorrow; I politely relayed that I was flying out of LaGuardia first thing in the morning and couldn't come back.  I took a breath and walked away before the potted plant went through the front window...I was hung over, car sick, exhausted and now pissed off to the point of tears.  After a lengthy conversation with customer service they allowed me to take the car to the Newark airport...at least they have a train to Manhattan.  I jumped back in the car and proceeded to try and calm Karen down; we google mapped our trip to the airport and tried to find our way back to the turnpike; we turned left and got stuck in traffic from the Giants game...I wanted to kick the windshield out of the car but all I could do was laugh until I finally cried, exhaustion plays with my emotions recklessly.

We finally arrived at our hotel four hours after sitting in traffic with pissed off Giants fans.  I would have left the car on the side of the road if the airport refused it.  Karen and I walked down Times Square to my favourite place; I can't eat wheat but after today I ordered two slices, a beer and a black and white cookie...I couldn't care less how much worse this would make me feel.  We sat in silence and ate, I couldn't help but laugh...I had an amazing time and I'm ready to go home and see my family.  I miss Dan and our Monday morning therapy sessions.



No comments:

Post a Comment