About Me

My photo
My new married life in a nutshell...Married and Single at the Same Time. How I opened my marriage and started living a single life in NYC one week a month. You can find my book here https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1701860201

Thursday 3 September 2015

The New Character I Play in This World V

I had another meeting with Laura and I've been able to attend rather easily.  My main concern right now is my daughter and trying to stay engaged in her level of activity and also create a bond with her similar to that with my son.  After we check off all the regular things, anxiety, medications, sleep, and my NY life we always talk about my children.  My son is busy with school, sports and his own life and I talk to him everyday and see him each week and it seems easy at his age to bond and really stay involved in his life.  Every morning I text him before his classes and each night he calls to tell me about his day and catch me up on his life, we have a great relationship and I want that with her too.  I want her to follow her own desires and not get caught up in others because it's 'normal'...but how do I teach that when I am just learning it myself?  My son was able to do it almost effortlessly but how different will it be for her?  Laura told me about a new method called 'slow down parenting' which is based off of the European style of cooking which is done slowly over days and days.  I really wanted to try it and embrace being the main role model for her so now we wake together and chat for a bit before we make breakfast together, then we walk for the mail and play in the park.  I engage her in conversation and ask her a lot of questions to have a conversation around her, we shop and cook together and sometimes in the day she will ask to just sit and watch a show.  I try not to interrupt her and ask her opinions; I want her to know she matters and I value her opinions and thoughts.  She is allowed to pick out all her own clothes and wear them anyway she wants and she can decide on when she is done eating and where to put her toys in her room.  I believed early on with my son that parenting should be more about guiding and less about dictating, I believe in natural consequences and I hope I am securing children that find comfort within and have enough confidence to follow what they desire.  I'm slowing down to enjoy the ride and hopefully offer them the beautiful life and family they deserve.   I have no idea if I am right and maybe I am just throwing stones in a pond but just like everything else in life...parenting is not a one size fits all.  I'm trying my best to be a good mom and role model and old beliefs sometimes make it difficult for me to stay on course...but I push through because I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment