About Me

My photo
My new married life in a nutshell...Married and Single at the Same Time. How I opened my marriage and started living a single life in NYC one week a month. You can find my book here https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1701860201

Friday 27 February 2015

Finding the Edge VI

I pulled up to Leann's in the early evening and I could see her in the field walking her dog, she was stumbling so it was either uneven ground or she was already into the wine...I'm banking on wine.  She came running over to help with my luggage because apparently I need three bags for a two day trip and seven pairs of shoes; although most women and some men will agree that what you wear depends on the places you go and of course the weather.  Mya is always excited to see me and is barking and jumping all over, I tend to feed her whatever she wants and she sleeps with me...when I end up on the floor.

Once we get into the condo Leann pours a glass of wine and hands me a beer, "so who are we dating tonight?"  I give her my best 'I'm so insulted you would even say that' look and can't hold back laughing, I know this will take some convincing because the guy I want to meet has a beard that's half way down his chest and is bald and plays rugby...but he looks like fun and I imagine is quite a bit of trouble.  We've texted a few times and he seems nice and 'normal' and not looking for much other than to meet people.  I decide it's best to just rip off the band aid and show the picture.  She grabs my phone and looks at it intensely, "seriously Nat, we're going out with him?" I realize he looks the exact opposite as Dan and really everyone else I've either met or have dated but I don't care, I see something in him that makes me happy and I want to find out exactly what it is.  "His name is Christian and he's a mechanic in town, or washes tractors, I really have no idea.  He plays rugby and just wants to go out and have fun.  I'll go to the dinner and then we will either pick you up or I will be back alone".  She agrees and I know a small part of her is excited because she is new to town and could use some friends of her own.  We clink our glasses and head out for a smoke...I'm still having trouble in this department but I haven't given up trying.

I arrived at the pub before Christian and found a table, I was a little nervous but had an escape plan so I ordered a beer and waited for him in a corner.  You cannot miss this guy when he enters the room and part of me laughs hoping Leann can recall his features if he kidnaps me because he looks like he could have spent a little time in the pen.  He doesn't say a word when he sits down except to order a beer and I felt like a little girl that was in trouble.  He finally makes eye contact and I think I would feel more comfortable if there was glass between us, but when he speaks he is the sweetest guy...except for Dan of course.  Christian is intelligent, funny, sarcastic and sweet, it threw me off for a minute but I knew there was a reason I needed to meet this man.  Football is our common ground and we bond over dinner discussing our fantasy teams, without ever a discussion we knew we would be great friends and nothing more.  I immediately feel relieved that I am only making friends and I think about Dan, he would really like Christian...I'm clearly losing my mind.  We finished our dinner and ordered more drinks before we step outside for a smoke.  I decided not to have one because even though we are only friends I do not want our first meeting to include me throwing up in the ashtray outside the pub.  He was telling me all about rugby and his family and I couldn't wait to hear more, he is a great guy and I want him in my life.  Christian is someone that actually takes time to be a friend and cares about the people in his life, he loves his family and always gives back, he's a mommas boy and would take in every stray dog if he had the room.  I realized at that point that he is not aware of my situation and part of me is dreading telling him because I don't want him to leave but I have to so I take a deep breath and spill my life.  He just smiles, "whatever works for you guys".  He finished his smoke and we went back in and continued to drink and talk football.

He paid the bill and we walked me to my car, "wanna come out with me and some friends?"  I definitely wanted too, "can we pick up my friend?"  He just nodded, we jumped in his truck and turned up the music, I have no idea what his plans are but I am buckled in and texting Leann to be outside and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment