About Me

My photo
My new married life in a nutshell...Married and Single at the Same Time. How I opened my marriage and started living a single life in NYC one week a month. You can find my book here https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1701860201

Thursday 6 August 2015

The Phoenix VII

My jeans weren't even dry as I walked off the plane but I was still able to smile at the nice lady when she apologized to me for the umpteenth time.  I said a little prayer on my way to the luggage carousel not really sure at this point if I wanted my luggage since it would be easy to get into the city without it and they could drop it off in the middle of the night...however smelling like a barista does nothing for me so luggage it is.  I stood half way between the lost luggage counter and carousel feeling like I just spent a day on the Amazing Race, I need a drink.  I almost shed a tear when my bag came through the small door, I didn't even notice I skipped over to retrieve it until the security guard started laughing at me.  I easily found a shuttle bus and was on my way into the city within fifteen minutes.  I never get tired of looking at the beautiful skyline and it is even more breathtaking after midnight.  I didn't even care that I would have to walk with my oversized bag eight long blocks to my hotel; or that Vince was working later and our evening drink was now a 2am drink, which was perfect since Manhattan never shuts down.

I checked into the hotel and was overly excited to change and hit the town.  I had stayed at this hotel before so I was shocked when I walked in and seen an outdated dirty room; last time everything was state of the art and beautiful...wtf?  I made my way back to the lobby where they happily switched me rooms and apologized for the less than clean decor.  The second room may have been better...or worse?  I wanted to throw up except the bathroom wasn't even clean enough for me to do that.  Back on the elevator I went and tried my best to ask the young man for yet another room.  "My apologies ma'am but those are the only two rooms we have for the night".  I dropped my head in my hands, there is no fucking way I am staying in either of those rooms for the duration of my stay.  I looked at him and nodded, he doesn't have anything else tonight so I smiled my best smile and started the negotiation process.  

A half hour later and I was walking out of the lobby looking for a Starbucks.  We agreed that the cleaning crew would scour my room and I would stay in it tonight and instead of reimbursing me for the night they will kindly move me to a newly renovated room the next afternoon.  I'm really starting to buy into the whole idea that a different frame of mind can reframe any situation.  I stood on the corner of 42nd and 7th next to some guy and waited for the walk light.  I looked over to break the awkwardness of there being only two of us in Times Square, I nodded and smiled at the familiar face...another light in my dark start of the trip.  In Manhattan anything can happen...I guess that is why my heart and soul belong there.

No comments:

Post a Comment