About Me

My photo
My new married life in a nutshell...Married and Single at the Same Time. How I opened my marriage and started living a single life in NYC one week a month. You can find my book here https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1701860201

Monday 17 August 2015

The Phoenix XVI

I met Vince in the lobby ready to hit the town, but still a little hung over from the night before.  We jumped in a cab and headed to the East Village for sushi, drinks and comedy.  I try to forget that he carries a gun even to dinner, it must feel like part of him after this many years.  We hit gridlock on Madison and 33rd and I tried my best to convince him to walk the rest of the way...apparently New Yorkers don't like to walk miles upon miles a day, I think it's the best way to see the city.

We pulled up ten minutes late for our reservation but the table was still open and the restaurant was amazing; I made a mental note to take Carl next time.  Vince had never eaten sushi before so I helped him out and encouraged him to get a bento box since it's like sushi for beginners.  We ordered some beers and recapped our days.  I have no idea how I can even consume alcohol after last night but it's going down great so I'm along for the ride.  It wasn't long into dinner that I realized how little Vince and I have in common, other than our work we had very little to talk about and I prefer to not talk about my family.  I was grateful we would be in a comedy show for a couple hours and wouldn't have the opportunity to talk much.  I ordered another beer...I tend to be chatty with alcohol.

He paid the bill while I waved down a cab to take us to the cellar.  Within 15 minutes we were in our seats with fresh drinks in our hands and talking with the others at our table...thank god for community seating.  The guy next to me was middle aged, from West Virginia and had clearly never been to the big city.  He was on his third drink before the first guy took the stage and was well on his way to being thrown out.  Luckily when the lights dimmed so did he...or so I thought.   This club is well known for hosting the biggest comedians on any given night and tonight was no different.  I was pretty excited when John Mulany took the stage but not nearly as excited as West Virginia who literally picked me up and shook me.  He apologized and set me back on the chair, I giggled more at his excitement than my own.  After a great set they announced Aziz and I could hardly believe it when the guy snatched me out of my seat and started shaking me screaming 'Aziz, Aziz'.  Vince looked less than impressed at this stranger man handling in a drunken state.  He finally put me down at the comedians request and I slowly moved farther away from him and continued to enjoy the amazing talent of people I watch on television.  The next comedian they announced should not have surprised me as much as it did since I stood with him in Times Square just a couple of nights prior.  When they announced him I could feel West Virginia staring at me...what the hell...I jumped out of my seat too and we bounced around together...it's not everyday you get to see Damon Waynes test out his new stand up.

No comments:

Post a Comment